Thursday, January 1, 2015

25 Profiles in 2014 Cinema

It's that time again, sports fans.

This year was kind of pitiful for me, for my own standards anyway, when it came to movie-going.  A job that took up much too much time that didn't really allow for a plethora of time to go out and see new movies left me with only a limited amount to soak up stuff.  I think I saw enough to have a good list - and I think I even have one or two in my list that I haven't seen on others - but here below, before I start off, I shall list all of the films I have not yet seen, many of which I have seen pop up on many, many lists and are probably spectacular feats that have just fell on my ignorant eyes and ears (as of January 1st, if I see more I WILL UPDATE THIS LIST - so check back periodically - and if I'm missing others, comment!):

Leviathan, Cavalry, The Babadook, Dear White People, Love is Strange, Listen Up Phillip, The Overnighters, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Still Alice, Unbroken, The Congress, Life of Riley, A Most Violent Year, Beyond the Lights, 2 Days 1 Night, Laggies, Mr. Turner, Rosewater, Song of the Sea, The Homesman, The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, Maleficent, and more...

In alphabetical order this time:



















And now for the "numbered" order (I fucking hate numbered ordered lists, but hell with it, here it is, and see if you can match up the titles with the pictures):

1) Birdman
2) Whiplash
3) Snowpiercer

4) Citzenfour
5) A Most Violent Year
6) The LEGO Movie
7) Inherent Vice
8) Frank

9) Life Itself
10) The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

The UN CERTAIN REGARD prize goes to: 
tie: Jodorowsky's Dune AND The Dance of Reality

11) The Unknown Known
12) Gone Girl 
13) Selma
14) X-Men: Days of Future Past
15) Nightcrawler
16) The Imitation Game
17) Tusk
18) Boyhood
19) Noah
20) Force Majeure
21) Under the Skin
22) Edge of Tomorrow
23) The Interview
24) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes


And now for the MANY other films that I really really really liked this year, and just didn't make the arbitrary list:

Foxcatcher
Locke
The Zero Theorem
The Raid 2
Night Moves
Interstellar
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The One I Love
Jimi: All is by my Side
Venus in Fur
Why Don't You Play in Hell?
Only Lovers Left Alive

Mood Indigo
Big Eyes
Wild
A Most Wanted Man
Chef
Get on Up
Bad Words
Cold in July
The Double


And the WORST movies of the year are:

Endless Love
Goodbye to Language 3D

And that's it.  One of the perks of not going to the movies much is that I don't get to see all the BAD movies anymore.

1 comment:

  1. As always, a great article about film by Jack Gattanella!!

    ReplyDelete