Saturday, August 22, 2015

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON - the 'Dis' Edition



One of the entertaining things about the new tale of the main rappers from NWA - of course that's Easy E, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube (MC Ren and DJ Yella are characters but... what do they DO in the movie, but I digress) - is when the group breaks down.  Sure, it's a dramatic break, due in large part due to the record money ripoff from the manager to Ice Cube (as rapper AND writer of many of the lyrics).  But what makes it last in my mind a week after seeing the movie? 

The disses.  Rap is full of em - recently there was some thing between rappers Drake and uh, who was the other guy?  I'm serious, I dont know who these young whippersnappers are.  My rappers are these guys, especially Dre, who I have great memories of listening to this and other tracks from the Chronic 100 times.

But yes.  The disses.  Passion, anger, rage, and yet there's lots of JOKES. Nasty moods, one may almost criticize them as being "unpleasant."  Well, as a dude on The Wire once said, Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. 

Even as the film shows that these guys who were (are?) friends come apart... they keep at it in an entertaining way. If they got to air their dirty laundry, might as well make it kickin.... 

Benedict Arnold.  No Vaseline.  Real Motherfuckin G's.  Because if you fuck with me, then it's a must that I fuck with you.

I just want to listen and dance to these all day long, don't you?








No comments:

Post a Comment